Prosthodontists and Periodontists Suck; Oral Surgeons and Orthodontists Rule
This survey asked dentists how frequently their patients are referred back after being sent out for treatment by specialists. The clear majority said they always or almost always got their patients back.
Dentists reported that prosthodontists were the worst offenders when it comes to not referring patients back. There were also complaints about pediatric dentists and periodontists. Dentists were happiest with oral surgeons, orthodontists, and endodontists.
Here are some comments from dentists about specialist referrals…
- “Periodontists only have incoming phone lines. They never refer back.” (Arizona dentist)
- “Building a good relationship with your specialists is critical. Specialist referrals are our second greatest source of new patients, after existing patient referrals.” (Pennsylvania cosmetic dentist)
- “Endodontists love to do it all, endo and restorations. They’re too greedy.” (Arizona dentist)
- “The endodontists to whom I send patients are tremendous.” (Illinois dentist)
- “Oral surgeons and orthodontists are a great source of new patients, especially in a growing area.” (North Carolina dentist)
- “Orthodontists will not share or help with easy cases, and refer existing patients to oral surgeons, not back to us.” (Arizona dentist)
- “I enjoy the relationship with my periodontist. He does the perio and I do the restorative. I’m not afraid that when I refer the patient that they will get lost.” (California dentist)
- “Periodontists attempt to take over patients’ care and regular hygiene visits.” (North Carolina dentist)
- “Pedodontists never, ever refer back! They are by far the worst of all specialists.” (Arkansas dentist)
about specialist referrals or read the complete results