Dentists Offer an Array of Dental Sedation Options
When we asked dentists about the highest level of sedation dentistry they offer to their patients, responses were across the board. Some offer full anesthesia; others offer OCS; others offer no sedation services.
General dentists and specialists have markedly different patterns of sedation. Given the more intensive procedures often performed by specialists, it’s not surprising that they offer a higher level of sedation on their patients.
A number of dentists voiced their preference for IV sedation. “It’s the platinum of sedation without side effects,” wrote a prosthodontist. “I would lose over half my practice without dental sedation,” said another dentist. But one dentist worried, “With some of the practitioners I’ve seen, conscious sedation is a catastrophe waiting to happen.”
What else do dentists think about sedation dentistry?
- “I would lose over half my practice without dental sedation.” (Arkansas dentist)
- “It makes for really easy visits and incredibly appreciative patients.” (California dentist)
- “Although sedation seems like a nice thing to have available for your patients, the reality is that it is a real pain to provide! My favorite method of sedation is someone who is able to take just local anesthesia!” (Nevada dentist)
- “Nitrous sedation is my favorite because of total reversibility.” (California dentist)
- “I don’t agree with the use of dental sedation.” (Florida dentist)
- “I think the profession is missing the boat concerning IV sedation….I wouldn’t work without it. Three cases this morning. This is my 40th year using IV.” (General dentist)
- “I feel too many dentists are treading in an area where they are not well trained.” (Pennsylvania dentist)
- “I’d love to do more, and I feel hog-tied because of state laws. I spent a lot of time and money to learn about it only to learn that I couldn’t legally do what I was taught.” (Pennsylvania dentist)
Read the complete Sedation Denistry: From Nitrous Oxide to Conscious Sedation to Anesthesia survey results