Botox is big business – and dentists think it’s appropriate for them to be a part of it. Two out of three dentists don’t have a problem with a dentist offering cosmetic Botox, Restylane or other dermal fillers, this survey found.
“Who on the face of this planet gives more injections and has more training in head and neck anatomy than dentists?” asked one dentist. “No one!”
In this survey of 144 dentists…
- 62% see no problem with dentists offering Botox and dermal fillers
- 7% think dentists should only offer Botox for therapeutic reasons.
- 31% think this is not an appropriate role for dentists.
Here are some comments on Botox, Restlyane and dermal fillers from dentists:
- “Fantastic idea! The AGD just passed a resolution supporting general dentists in education and performing these procedures.” (General dentist)
- “Botox as an additional treatment to correct gummy smiles. Restylane to fill the fissures and wrinkles of the lips to perfect a cosmetic anterior dental prosthetic reconstruction” (Kuwait cosmetic dentist)
- “Dentists, with the extensive head and neck training they have, should probably have been the first to administer Botox and fillers. Factor in the reality that most dentists are fairly artistic and without question perfectionists, they absolutely should be administering Botox and fillers.” (Minnesota dentist)
- “For TMJ treatment if indicated.” (Prosthodontist)
- “I am doing Botox now for my family, staff and a few select patients. I do dermal fillers for my wife. I practice in the state of Texas and I can’t get our dental board to ‘allow’ us to do these procedures. Insurance companies will cover me but for only what our dental board will allow.” (Texas dentist)
- “In Texas, basically only an Oral Surgeon can do it—so let them take the risk and use this as a referral.” (Texas pediatric dentist)
- “Why not go to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon for veneers or high tech mouthguards??” (Florida oral surgeon)
- “Let’s have our physician friends extract teeth and place dental implants. This is a ‘busyness’ issue.” (Periodontist)
Read more – Botox Dentist Treatment: Most Dentists Approve